Our chant of “rain, rain go away” seems to have worked and the lovely weather here in Connecticut has certainly brightened our spirits. It also inspired this delicious, light summer lunch of shrimp and goat cheese quesadillas. Continuing with our Southern cuisine kick, this dish from the blog Eat, Live, Run makes good on every promise: it’s quick, true to its recipe and very enjoyable to the taste buds. Despite my concern, the part where flipping in the pan is necessary is even easy and works seamlessly (without losing all of the goodness inside). Our only suggestions would be to double the amount of shrimp (we went from 8 -> 16), so as to make sure they play a large enough role in the dish and to add, perhaps, a bit more spice if you’re searching for a bit more of a kick! This recipe can be found at the following link: http://www.eatliverun.com/ten-minute-shrimp-and-goat-cheese-quesadillas/
Serving Size: 2
Ingredients: (adapted to our taste)
- 4 flour tortillas
- 16 raw shrimp (frozen or fresh, deveined with tails off)
- 1/2 cup frozen sautéed pepper and onion mix
- 1/2 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Pinch of chili powder (note: add more if you would like!)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne (note: add more if you would like!)
- Salsa and avocado slices for serving
- Heat up the frozen bell pepper and onion mix in a skillet over high heat for about a minute.
- Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, spray with cooking spray and crank up the heat to high.
- Add the shrimp and cook quickly for about thirty seconds.
- Add the cayenne pepper, salt and chili powder and toss to coat. Immediately take off heat (shrimp cook fast!).
- Scatter pepperjack cheese and goat cheese on two tortillas and then top each with four cooked shrimp and a little bit of the onion and pepper mix.
- Lay other tortillas on top and cook each in a greased skillet over medium heat until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are golden brown and crispy.
- Let cool and then cut into four slices
- Serve with avocado slices and salsa.